Community Day at the Gilfillan Farm
Saturday, May 18th
Here is a list of events that will take place on the farm on Community Day:
House Tours: 12 - 3
Barn Yard: 12 - 4
Scarecrow Unveiling: 1:00
Horse Drawn Wagon Rides
Bee Keeping Demonstrations
The Historical Society of Upper St. Clair Presents
Allen Matthews will be presenting a brief history of local agriculture, talking about community supported agriculture and telling us more about the partnership between Chatham University’s Eden Hall and School of Sustainability and the Environment and the gardeners at the Gilfillan Farm. Come learn some gardening tips and about what is going on at the Gilfillan Farm.
April 21, 2013
Upper St. Clair Community and Recreation Center at Boyce Mayview Park
1551 Mayview Road, Upper St. Clair, PA 15241
Don and Becky Kretschmann were some of the first organic growers in Western PA. Their farm has provided Pittsburgh area customers with local, organically grown produce, fruits, and meats since 1971. For over 40 years they have grown strictly organically and are certified organic with Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA). They market through an efficient CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture) operation and a few wholesale sellers, offering a weekly selection of produce to members from June to Thanksgiving.
They were amongst the original members of the Pennsylvania Association of Sustainable Agriculture (PASA), which is now the largest statewide, member-based sustainable farming organization in the United States. They attended the very beginning annual PASA conferences, an event which has blossomed into the largest sustainable agricultural annual meeting in the nation! The Kretschmanns have remained actively involved in this organization since its inception, with Don serving on the board of directors for the maximum number years allowed by term limits and giving numerous presentations, workshops, and farm tours over the years. In 2013, the Kretschmanns were the recipients of the Sustainable Agriculture Leadership Award given annually by PASA in recognition of their efforts as leaders in sustainable agriculture for over 40 years. Don and Becky both strongly believe in giving back to the sustainable agriculture community by being highly involved at the statewide, national, and international levels. For more information - http://kretschmannfarm.com
General Society business will be covered from 2:00pm-2:15pm.
Light refreshments will be available.
Are you a student that enjoys art? Have you been interested showing people how talented you are?
Well this is your chance!
We want you to create an advertisement for the Historical Society of Upper St. Clair to promote our Community Day activities.
The winning entry will be used for the 2013 Upper St. Clair Today Summer Edition.
The rules are:
- 1.You have to live in Upper St. Clair
- 2.You must be 18 years of age or younger (sorry parents this is for the kids)
- 3.You must include most if not all of the information in the Event Information section below
- 5.The winning entry will be included in the 2013 Upper St Clair Today Summer Edition and you will receive a $25 gift certificate to Chik-Fil-A
- 1.The Date: Saturday, May 18, 2013
- 2.Hosted by: Historical Society of Upper St. Clair
- 3.The Times: House 12-3PM, Barn Yard 12-4PM, Scarecrow Unveiling 1PM
- 4.The Activities: guided house tours, horse drawn wagon rides, children’s craft, beekeeping demonstrations, a farm animal petting zoo, snacks and more
- 5.The Location: 1950 Washington Rd. Upper St. Clair, PA,(Please use the Orr Road parking lot)
Gilfillan House Tours
Tours of the Gilfillan House can be scheduled upon request. Please contact us via e-mail or phone to inquire about a tour.