The Historical Society of Upper St. Clair started in 1988 as a group of residents who were interested in preserving the history of the community and sharing their appreciation of its local history. Since 2001, the Historical Society has been located at the Gilfillan house and farm. Margaret Gilfillan left the property and buildings to the Historical Society upon her death in May 2001 at one-hundred years of age. She was the last direct descendent of John Gilfillan, who built the house in 1855-57. The Historical Society seeks to provide a repository and reference resource for local historical records and to preserve these records in order to provide a window into life within the township.
The Historical Society of Upper St. Clair Board of Directors (from Left to Right):
Karen Godwin, Bill Keck, Jean Brown - President, Bruce Fife, Larry Godwin
Not pictured: Roger Heins & Dorothy Holden
Carolyn Jones received her master’s degree in Library and Information Science from the University of Pittsburgh with a specialization in archives, preservation, and records management. She also holds a Master of Arts in English from Wake Forest University. She has worked as a visual resources technician, development assistant, and conservation technician. Carolyn enjoys technical theatre, as well as, book and document preservation. Her hobbies include amateur bookbinding and gardening. She is a member of the Society of American Archivists.
We have been very lucky to have Carolyn working with us over the past few years to help sort through the many historical images of Upper St. Clair.
Names of Early Residents in the Historical Society of Upper St. Clair
Bea and Paul Eiben
Karen and Larry Godwin
Nina and Jim Goldsmith
Peg and Ed Harmon
Nancy and Paul Page
Mary and Ken Reardon
Ruth and Bill Stumpf